Dublin, 07 September 2022: An Taoiseach Micheál Martin today launched a major competition for young people all across Ireland focused on 50 years of Ireland’s EU membership. A joint initiative of the Government of Ireland and European Movement Ireland, MyEU50 will engage with students at primary, post-primary and third levels to share their creativity and new ideas about Ireland and Europe. For Primary and Post-Primary Level, there is €2,000 up for grabs for the winning entries.
Marking the launch, An Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, the Minister for Education, Norma Foley, and the Minister of State for European Affairs, Thomas Byrne, visited Kildare Place School in Rathmines, Dublin and chatted to pupils about Ireland’s 50 years in the EU and their views about the future.
Primary level pupils are asked to get creative about the 26 other EU countries by picking a Member State sharing in the most colourful and creative way possible facts about that country. Post-primary level students are tasked to make a short 2-to-5-minute video news feature to explore how the EU affects their school and community.
The competition will focus on areas including life in other EU member states, what it’s like to work for the EU and the EU’s future direction.
Primary and secondary level students can submit their entries up until 28 October 2022. The third level competition will take place in 2023.
More information can be found at www.myeu50.ie.
– ENDS –
Press Queries: Ryan Levis, Communications Manager, European Movement Ireland | 0861277237 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media: twitter.com/emireland | facebook.com/emireland | linkedin.com/company/european-movement-ireland | instagram.com/europeanmovementireland/
Notes to Editor:
- To commemorate 50 years of Ireland’s EU membership in Ireland, we want to celebrate with young people across the nation, to see their creativity and new ideas about Ireland and Europe. ‘MyEU50: The Ireland EU50 Youth Competition’ will run over all three levels of education in Ireland; Primary, Post-Primary Level and Third Level.
- For Primary and Post-Primary Level, we have €2,000 up for grabs for the winning entry per level!
- Finalists will be invited to attend an Exhibition Day in Dublin near the end of 2022, where they will get the opportunity to showcase their project to a live audience and some VIPs. During the Exhibition Day, 1 primary level finalist and 1 post-primary level finalist will be announced as the overall winners, receiving prizes worth €2,000.
- Primary Level Details: We are challenging primary level pupils to get creative about the 26 other EU countries. Pick a Member State based on facts files you can find on our website here, and in the most colourful and creative way possible, tell us a story about that country. You can tell your story with photos, a poster, a collage, a poem, a song, a short story, a dance, playing music, or even a comic strip!
- Post-Primary Level Details: We are challenging secondary level students to get creative by shining a spotlight on how the EU affects their school, or their community. Individual students, or a group of up to 6 students, are asked to put your journalist hats on and make a short 2-to-5-minute video ‘news feature’ to explore how the EU affects your school and community.
- Third Level details will be announced in 2023.
- About European Movement Ireland: Founded in 1954, European Movement (EM) Ireland is the longest established Irish NGO working on European affairs. An independent, not-for-profit, membership organisation, EM Ireland works to develop the connection between Ireland and the European Union. We facilitate links between all sectors of Irish society and the EU, through advocacy campaigns, education programmes, training courses, information briefings and networking events. For more information, visit europeanmovement.ie