What It's All About?!
My European Union, My Ireland, My EU50!
To commemorate 50 years of EU membership in Ireland, we want to celebrate with young people across the nation, to see their creativity and new ideas about Ireland and Europe. ‘MyEU50: The Ireland EU50 Youth Competition’ will run over all three levels of education in Ireland; Primary, Post-Primary and Third Level.
For Third Level, we have €2,000 up for grabs for the winning entry so join us and let’s get creative about Ireland and Europe!
Further details can be found below!
As Ireland celebrates 50 years of EU membership in 2023, the MyEU50 Competition is an opportunity to re-emphasise the role the EU plays in the lives of European citizens and the cultural and linguistic diversity of Europe, the career opportunities the EU can provide. Between 7 February and 31 March, the MyEU50 Competition will take place among third level students, requiring them to get creative in producing stimulating debate based on the EU founding values.
Students are asked to consider the following statement in creating their entry:
How are EU values relevant in today’s Ireland? Each entry should focus on at least one EU core value, listed below, and demonstrate the relevance in today’s Ireland and beyond.
Four Methods of Entry
- Podcast (15-20 minutes)
- Op-Ed (800 words)
- Speech (800 words)
- Poster (accompanying 200 word explainer)
further details explained in information pack
Topics to Discuss
Each entry should focus on at least one EU core value, listed below, and demonstrate the relevance in today’s Ireland.
- Human Dignity
- Rule of Law
- Human Rights
further details explained in information pack
MyEU50 will be split into three regions, reflecting the Irish European Parliament constituencies:
- Dublin (Dún Laoghaire – Rathdown, Fingal and South Dublin; and the city of Dublin)
- Midlands-North-West (Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Kildare, Leitrim, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Roscommon, Sligo and Westmeath)
- South (Carlow, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow)
A total of 3 finalists will be selected – 1 from each region above.
All 3 finalists will be invited to attend an Exhibition Day in April 2023, where they will get the opportunity to showcase their project to a live audience.
During the Exhibition Day, 1 finalist will be announced as the overall winners, receiving prizes worth €2,000.
Chun 50 bliain de bhallraíocht san AE in Éirinn a chomóradh, ba mhaith linn ceiliúradh a dhéanamh le daoine óga ar fud na tíre chun a gcruthaitheacht agus a gcuid smaointe nua faoi Éirinn agus faoin Eoraip a fheiceáil. Beidh ‘MyEU50: The Ireland EU50 Youth Competition’ ar siúl thar na trí leibhéal oideachais in Éirinn; Bunleibhéal, Meánscoil agus Tríú Leibhéal le linn 2022/2023.
Don tríú leibhéal, tá €2,000 le buachan againn don iontráil bhuaiteach in aghaidh an leibhéil! Mar sin bí linn agus bígí cruthaitheach faoi Éirinn agus faoin Eoraip!
Is féidir tuilleadh sonraí a fháil thíos!
Cad is gá duit a Dhéanamh Ag Tríú Leibhéal! Tuilleadh Anseo!
For further information:
PHONE: +353 (0)1 662 5815
SOCIAL MEDIA: #MyEU50 | @dfatirl | @emireland
- European Movement Ireland’s Digital Anthology
- European Movement Ireland’s Ireland EU50 Main Page
- Government of Ireland’s Ireland EU50 Main Page
- Ireland EU50 Podcast with Iar-Taoiseach Micheal Martin TD
- Ireland EU50 Podcast with Mary Lou McDonald TD
- What is it like to work for the EU?
- EM Ireland’s Jobs and Traineeships in Europe List
- EM Ireland’s Green Book: An Irish Trainee’s Guide to Living and Working in Brussels (& other nice European cities)
- UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Europa2073 Art/Creative Writing Competition for Third Level Students
What is Ireland EU50?
Ireland EU50 is a programme of initiatives and events marking Ireland’s 50 years of EU membership since our decision to join the EEC in 1972. Ireland’s EU membership over the last 50 years has coincided with radical and transformative change across the social and economic landscape of Ireland. The EU has been a catalyst in the creation of the prosperous, peaceful and progressive Ireland we live in today and Ireland has too contributed to the development of today’s European Union. For more information on Ireland EU50 and the initiatives promoting the EU click the following link: https://ireland.ie/en/eu50/
What is 'MyEU50: The Ireland EU50 Youth Competition'?
MyEU50 is a competition across all three levels of education in Ireland, Primary schools, Post-Primary schools, and Third Level Institutions, hosted by European Movement Ireland in partnership with the Government of Ireland. The competition’s aim is to mark Ireland’s 50 years of EU membership by challenging pupils and students to be creative and explore new ideas about Ireland and Europe.
Do I need to register interest in MyEU50 to submit an entry?
No, you can still enter a submission if you didn’t register your interests. Registering your interest in MyEU50 means that we will send you additional information and send reminders to submit your entry before the before the deadline.
When is the deadline for submitting an entry?
11pm, 31 March 2023.
When will the finalists and winners be announced?
The finalists for Third Level will be announced 10-14 April 2023.
Will our entry be made public?
Yes, a selection of entries will be shared online. Please make sure when submitting your entry that you have submitted a media consent form along with your entry form.
When and where is the ‘Exhibition Day’?
The ‘Exhibition Day’ will be hosted at a TBC location between 17 – 28 April 2023.
Do I need previous knowledge of the EU to take part in the competition?
You need no prior knowledge of the EU to take part in the competition. We provide information and resources aimed at Third Level students that you can use in as basis of your learnings about the EU in this competition.
Do you need previous experience in the any of the formats to enter?
No, we have provided tips and guidelines, available here, for creating your entry and all entries will reviewed once in the correct format.
What file types are accepted?
Please see the file types accepted by format below:
Podcast: MP3 link to piece on your own channel ie Spotify
Op-Ed / Newspaper Opinion Piece, Speech: PDF
Poster: PNG, PTP and PDF
Can I get support about the MyEU50: The Ireland EU50 Youth Competition as we work on our entry?
Yes, the MyEU50 team are here to support you in preparing your entry. You can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01 662 5815.
An féidir le iontáil MyEU50 a bheidh as Ghaeilge?
Sea! Is féidir le iontáil ar gach leibhéil a bheidh trí Gaeilge. Tabhair faoi deara gur in mBearla a bheidh formhor na n-achanni do MyEU50
Más maith leat tuilleadh eolais a fháil agus teagmháil a dhéanamh le Foireann MyEU50 trí Ghaeilge is féidir r-phost a chur chuig email@example.com
CC as Ghaeilge – Cliceáil Anseo!
EM Ireland is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
EM Ireland may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 5 September 2013.
We may collect the following information:
- name and address
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- information about the transactions you undertake
- information you provide when giving us feedback or completing membership or registration forms
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping
- improving our services and events
- we may periodically send emails about new services, events or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided
- we may also use your information to contact you by phone, fax or email for market research purposes and we may use the information to customise the website according to your needs.
- At EM Ireland we are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
If you wish to opt out of the MyEU50: Ireland EU50 Youth Competition at any point, please just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MyEU50 team acknowledges it has a responsibility for the safety of children involved in projects, attending classes or otherwise under its temporary care. It is also recognised that good child protection policies and procedures are of benefit to everyone involved in the Programme. The MyEU50 team is committed to practices which protect children from harm.
All staff and volunteers who have access to or contact with children throughout the course of their work are required to:
- Recognise and accept their responsibilities;
- Develop awareness of the issues which can cause children harm;
- Agree to the usual Garda vetting procedure;
- Report any concerns immediately to the National Implementation Body.