Background In the wake of the 2014 local and European elections, the Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore TD, resigned as leader of the Labour Party. Following his resignation, a four-week leadership contest took place to succeed him. Outgoing Deputy Leader and Minister for Social Protection, Joan Burton […]
Today the Heads of State from all 28 EU Member States met to formally nominate former Prime Minister of Luxembourg, Jean Claude Juncker, as the next President of the European Commission. The Council’s nomination will now be voted on by the European Parliament in mid-July. In this article we take […]
What is the ECI? The European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI) gives EU citizens the opportunity to directly participate and contribute towards the formulation of EU policies by presenting proposals to the European Commission. As it stands, the European Commission is the only EU institution that can propose legislation. The European Citizens’ […]
The first 160 children born in Ireland in 1973 were awarded a medal by the Irish Council of the EU (as EM Ireland was then known) to commemorate Ireland’s accession to the EEC. Now, as we celebrate 40 years of Irish membership of the EU and reflect on the changes […]
Subscribe / Connect
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- We've been out west, down south, up north & now in the east! ✅
- Agreement, reform, trade, #FutureOfEurope and bilateral relationships- Panel ...
- Week 1⃣1⃣ | Blue Star Programme #OneAWeek
We're in Cork this week with @...
- Green energy. Gender pay equality. Jobs of the future #feedback #future of Eu...
- Globally competitive. Security through cooperation. #education. #parental lea...