On 1 February 2013, Group III of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) and EM Ireland will jointly host a High-Level Conference entitled: “Ireland 40 Years On: The Benefits, Opportunities and Challenges of EU Membership”. The event marks Ireland’s Presidency of the Council of the European Union and the 40th anniversary of Ireland’s accession to the EU, and will provide members of the EESC and EM Ireland, and a wide range of civil society organisations, with the opportunity to review and assess Ireland’s journey through the past 40 years of EU membership.
The event will take the form of a number of thematic sessions centred around topics related to the future of the EU, including CAP reform, the current financial crisis, the future of European farming, and the environment.
Confirmed speakers at this event include:
- Mr John Bryan, President of the Irish Farmers’ Association
- Dr Donal Donovan, Former Deputy Director of the International Monetary Fund
- Mr Fintan Farrell, Director of the European Anti-Poverty Network
- Mr Luca Jahier, President of the Group III of the EESC
- Professor John McHale, Chairman of the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council
- Mr Staffan Nilsson, President of the EESC
- Mr John Sweeney, President of An Taisce
- Senator Jillian van Turnhout, Vice-Chair of European Movement Ireland and former Vice-President of the EESC
The conference will take place between 9am and 5pm at the Castleknock Hotel and Country Club in Castleknock, Dublin 15 (directions here). Registration (with coffee) will be open from 8.30am, and lunch will be provided to attendees from 1pm.
Should you be interested in attending, the conference draft programme will provide you with a more detailed overview of the event: EESC-EM Ireland Conference Programme
We hope to see some of our members in attendance at this event, although we do kindly request that you RSVP in advance by contacting the EESC at Gr3-Dublin2013@eesc.europa.eu. The deadline for registration is Friday 25 January 2013.
Should you require any further information about this event, the Secretariat of Group III is at your disposal. Please contact Liam Ó’Brádaigh at the details below with any queries.
T: +32 2 546 99 71 E: email@example.com