UPDATE: The closing date for applications for this position was 12 noon on Monday, 17 February 2014. Applications are no longer being accepted.
For more information about internships and opportunities with EM Ireland, click here.
Head of Communications and Development
Are you passionate about communications? Do you have an interest in current affairs, politics and international relations? Do you like a job where no two days are ever the same? If so, read on…
Originally founded in 1954, European Movement Ireland is a not-for-profit voluntary membership based civil society organisation working to make the connection between Irish people and Europe. In 2014, we are celebrating the 60th anniversary of our foundation. With a dynamic and enthusiastic team, we run a series of campaigns, programmes and projects in a changing, fast-paced environment. This represents an exciting opportunity to join a vibrant and growing organisation as we enter the next stage of our development.
Head of Communications and Development
The Head of Communications and Development will have overall responsibility for all aspects of European Movement Ireland’s communications strategy including branding, marketing and PR. The successful candidate will be responsible for conceptualising, planning and implementing the organisation’s internal and external communications strategy in line with EM Ireland’s strategic plan. The Head of Communications and Development will work on developing the organisation’s increasing membership, partner and stakeholder engagement. This is a busy, hands-on role and we are looking for someone with drive, passion, ambition and commitment to join our team and work closely with the Executive Director in growing the organisation.
Key objectives and main responsibilities
- Design and implement the communications and marketing strategy critical to the success of European Movement Ireland’s Strategic Plan
- Drive public relations activity, media, online engagement and outreach of the organisation’s expanding range of programmes, projects, events and activities
- Develop and maintain key relationships with stakeholders, funders, partners and members
- Leverage current affairs opportunities to raise public awareness of European and EU issues through various communications media
- Work closely with the Executive Director in the development of funding and income streams for European Movement Ireland, helping ensure the organisation’s financial success
- Manage EM Ireland’s website and social media platforms
- Manage the publication of all EM Ireland materials, collateral, branding and reports, policy documents, members communications, including design, print and budget of same
- Manage the ‘message,’ and dissemination of a variety of outcomes of national and thematic campaigns
- Run, market and promote events and special projects to a variety of target audiences throughout Ireland and on occasion abroad, to a high standard and on budget
- Work and develop a suite of member benefits and services designed to attract, retain and expand EM Ireland’s growing membership base
- Support and manage staff members as assigned
- Act as a representative of European Movement Ireland as appropriate
- Keep up to-date with current issues and public opinions
- Act in accordance with the objectives and ethos of the organisation
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time commensurate with the seniority of this post.
Experience and knowledge
- Education to honours degree level in a third level institution in a relevant discipline
- Experience in a broad communications/advocacy /public affairs/policy/marketing/media role
- The ideal candidate will have knowledge and understanding of the external policy environment as it relates to Ireland’s relationship in a broad European context
- Knowledge of non-governmental organisations and the environment in which they operate
- General office management experience and experience working as part of a collaborative team
- Management experience of both teams and finances in terms of running projects on target and within budget
- Experience in project management with a track record of delivering on objectives
- Experience of developing and implementing advocacy campaigns, projects and representing an organisation to the public or/and media
- Research and development skills with experience of generating content for publication, dissemination and distribution (e.g. publication of reports, strategy documents, position papers, articles, newsletters etc.)
- Experience of CMS and packages including Salesforce, Mailchimp, WordPress and MS Office useful
- Familiarity with digital media skills is important: comfortable in the use, promotion and management of a wide range of communications and social media tools employed by the organisation e.g. website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, blogs, Google+
Skills and special aptitudes
- Proactive, enthusiastic, organised, diplomatic creative thinker and self-starter
- Excellent oral, written, and verbal presentation skills with the ability to communicate and interact with a varied national and international stakeholder base through various means
- Strong critical evaluation skills with well-developed attention to detail
- Highly motivated; ability to multitask and manage a complex workload in a fast-paced and changing environment within a small dynamic team
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Though not essential, knowledge of other European languages would be useful
- Full driving license and use of car would be helpful
Based in Dublin at European Movement Ireland Offices
Reporting to the Executive Director, this person will be a key member of the senior management team. H/She will work closely with the EM Ireland Board, Advisory Council, other managers and team members. The successful candidate will manage a number of staff in addition to supervising the work of a number of interns.
A CV and letter of application including details of your current remuneration package and details of two referees should be sent by email to:
Noelle O Connell, Executive Director, European Movement Ireland
Tel: 01 662 5815 | Fax: 01 662 5817 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by 12 noon, Monday 17 February 2014.
Shortlisting will apply and interviews will take place in Dublin on Monday 24 February 2014.
European Movement Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer